Thursday, October 14, 2010

Decorating on the Cheap: Halloween Candy!

I really enjoy decorating for the seasons and holidays, but it can get expensive.  For some parts of my decor every year and for every season, I use candy.  It's cheap, easy to find, and pretty.  There are hearts for Valentine's, hard and ribbon candies for Christmas and for Halloween..TONS of goodies!

(All of the containers I use in this post are things that I've had for years. Some of them you can still buy, but some you can't. I'll try to share where I got things when I can.)



This is the first thing I put together this year.  I've had these out for a little while (so forgive the fact that they're looking a little low.  Some of us can't resist the decorations :)
These are vases I bought years ago from Southern Living at Home. You could easily buy inexpensive bud vases at any craft or big box store, and candy corn (or Indian Corn, which is what they call this stuff with the brown on the bottom) is one of the cheapest and easiest things to buy this time of year.
I also bought these goodies...
The two bigger bags were 88 cents each.  The caramel filled chocolate eyeballs were more expensive, but they were just too awesome to resist.
Here are some things I did with those eyeballs :)


 This is a vase that I've had for a while, but I bought it for about $3 at Michael's and I'm pretty sure that you still can.  I added some super cheap paper from the dollar spot at Target to it and a couple of Halloween embellishments.  the skulls, mice and snakes?  A buck a package at either the dollar store or the grocery store.


 This is a mini ice bucket (again, I've had it for a while.  Bought it at an antiques store).  I just layered the stuff in there.  They layering would be really cute in a great bog apothecary jar, but I don't have any of those.  The crow is from Michael's.

This is just a cup that I bought years ago to drink my mudslides out of  :)  They're not cheap (about $6 each at Cost Plus) but I love the fact that it looks like a cauldron.

I dipped in to my stemware stash for these too:
I don't drink champagne that often, but these would be so cute at a place setting for a fall dinner.  The little pumpkins are cute and cheap for a little scatter/confetti for a pretty table.

I also layered the pumpkins and candy corn in the ice bucket for a different look.
Just take away the Halloween accessories and this can stay out to decorate through Thanksgiving.

I also keep these candle holders out on my dining room table all year.  Just switch out the candy and the ribbon for a different look for every season.

Those little acorns came in a bag at the dollar store.

Finally, a re-do of the first picture with the vases.  This time with a different fall candy in each one.  They were getting low anyway :)

I hope this helps if you are looking for some ideas for decorating for Halloween on the cheap!
My husband is going to be soooo glad that I finally got this post up.  He's been trying to eat this candy for a week!

No comments: