Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Potato Soup!!

I LOVE potato soup.  I worked at Bennigan's for years and would eat a little every morning for breakfast before we opened.  It was a go-to food for me when I was pregnant and nauseous.  I had really been missing that good stuff when all the Bennigans' around here closed down.  I tried other soups at grocery stores and restaurants, but they weren't as good.  (I worked at Black Angus for years too and their potato soup is just watery and gross.  I never understood why so many people came in for it).  I really missed that soup when I was pregnant with my youngest son.

Recently a girl on one of the forums I belong to shared this recipe with everyone.  I decided to try it, but didn't have high hopes because I'm a freak and I like my soup to be really creamy without any dried out/rock hard bacon bits and without any leathery potato skin in it and that's all I seemed to be able to find out there.

Well...THIS STUFF IS DELICIOUS.  Holy cow.  If you like potato soup (and would appreciate a really easy recipe that even uses pre-cut potatoes to save you time), this is the stuff for you.

Cream Cheese Potato Soup

6 Cups water
7 teaspoons chicken bouillon
2 (8oz) packages cream cheese, cubed
1 package frozen hash brown potatoes
1/2 Cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dill weed
Combine water and bouillon, add cream cheese. Cook and stir until cream cheese is melted. Stir in remaining ingredients. Simmer uncovered 20 minutes or until veggies are soft.

I actually like to start it earlier in the day and just leave it on low and let it thicken up before dinner time.  It's so easy and everyone that I've made it for seems to like it too!  I serve it with chives, cheese, oyster crackers and bacon bits on the side so everyone can add what they want to their bowl.

Enjoy it now while it's nice and cold outside :)

No comments: