Tuesday, December 28, 2010

A quick way to add some cute to your party

I had this idea in November.  Bought the stuff to make everything.  And then...yeah.  Sometimes getting cute pictures taken really holds me back.  These would really be fun for any party, holiday, birthday, tea, etc. 
I love cake plates and when I saw these mini candlesticks at Hobby Lobby I thought they looked like a cake plate base.  I had a little trouble finding a ready made top, but you can see that I worked that out for one of them and made my own for the others.  Have a look!
This is the base with a few layered chipboard circles on top.  I cut them out and stuck them together with my Xyron Creatopia and adhesive.  They won't be coming apart any time soon and they're smooth and sturdy.  I used hot glue to attach the top, then painted the whole thing white.  Once they were dry I added the ribbon with hot glue as well.

Another simple one that I made the same way.  This one just has silver ribbon because you all know I love me some sparkle.

For this one I punched out some white paper with a Martha Stewart punch and added that with some hot glue.  This one really looks like an old fashioned cake plate and I love it.
 Speaking of sparkle, there's this :)  I bought these mirrors at Hobby Lobby as well.  The little teardrops are mini glitter ornaments from the same place.  For the glitter on the base I gave it a coat of Martha Stewart's glue (comes in a nice sized bottle with a brush built in to the lid and it's awesome) and then I sprinkled it with Vintage Glass Glitter from Art Glitter.  Definitely nice for a fancy dessert.

I hope you like these!  I had a lot of fun making them and once I decide which one I like best I'll be sure to make a bunch up for my next party.

No comments: