Monday, October 18, 2010

Felt for Halloween

I had seen this idea shared from a couple of different blogs (neither of which is coming to mind right now).  They used felt to make these fake blood drip table covers and I knew the kids would love them.  Felt is such a great material to work with!  It doesn't need to be finished because it doesn't fray, so it's prefect for people that are afraid of breaking out their sewing machine.  It comes in a 72" width (wider than decorator fabrics) so it's great for table cloths.  I'm actually hoping to get enough to make a table cloth for the whole length of our dining room table for next year.  They put felt on sale a lot in the fall because it's great for making costumes.  I paid about $2.50 a yard for this stuff and I love the way the covers turned out.

 This table is in my entryway and it was the first one I tried making.  I laid a piece of felt over the table and put in pins along the top edge so I wouldn't cut the drips up too far.  I turned it onto the backside once the pins were in and drew the drips with a sharpie.  Just cut along the lines and you're done!

This is the hutch in my dining room.  Same basic steps as the other cover, but I didn't have to do any corners on this one because  the sides fit along the inside of the opening.

No comments: